Over 60% of American adults between the ages of 35 and 44 have lost at least one tooth to decay, trauma, or gum disease. A missing tooth can be replaced with a dental bridge or a partial denture, but the most effective form of tooth replacement is a dental implant.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant has the structure of a natural tooth. A titanium root form is surgically implanted in your jawbone. After the healing period when the jawbone and the root form fuse together, a dental crown is attached to it. In addition to replacing missing teeth, implants can be used to stabilize dentures and hold a dental bridge.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- They are surgically implanted, so they help prevent jawbone shrinkage and facial collapse.
- Unlike a dental bridge, no work is required on adjacent teeth.
- They can stabilize your dentures and prevent them from slipping around or falling out.
- They look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
- They are a permanent solution to missing teeth.
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- You have to wait two to six months for your jawbone to heal before you receive a permanent replacement tooth. Meanwhile, you will wear a temporary crown.
- The cost is per implant, so they are more expensive than other forms of tooth replacement.
Quality Dental Implants
Quality dental implants can last a lifetime, but quality implant fixtures must be used, and the implants must be properly placed.
Proper placement requires careful planning. Your medical history must be thoroughly reviewed to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. A three-dimensional CT scan reveals your facial and bone structure to ensure that your nerves, sinus cavities, and other structures are not damaged by the implant fixtures. The diagnostic study also helps us determine if you have adequate bone density to support dental implants. Otherwise, bone grafting may be needed.
Dr. Walker, our oral surgeon, will ensure that quality implants are used and that your implants are properly placed. All of our dentists at Hillsdale Dental Care are members of the BIOMET 3i Synergy Training Program®—a mini residency in all aspects of restorative implant dentistry. You can be confident that from implant surgery through crown placement, you can trust us for care of the highest quality. As our patient, Soledad, commented: "Hillsdale Dental is just the place to be for all our dental needs. Everyone is so professional and informative, and they explain the procedures in a way that you can fully understand."
Dental Implants Complimentary Consultation
If you are interested in dental implants, contact us to schedule a complimentary consultation. You will have the opportunity to see our office, meet our team, ask questions about the treatment, and discuss your options. Call us to schedule or request an appointment online.